John's Journal
For Edina and Richfield Wrestling, A Team Of Their Own 1/7/2015
There has been a downward trend in wrestling: Schools faced with shortages of athletes forming cooperative teams with neighboring schools as a way to keep the sport alive.

Ten years ago, there were 262 high school wrestling teams in Minnesota; this season there are 254. And the number of schools involved in wrestling has fallen from 353 in 2004-05 to 343 currently.

In a dramatic reversal, however, two schools in the Twin Cities have ended a lengthy cooperative agreement and this season are striking out on their own … with their own teams, wearing their own school colors.

Wrestlers from Richfield and Edina had an on-again, off-again cooperative team for 20 years. The team was known as the Richfield/Edina Rampage, and there were some years when none of the wrestlers came from Edina. Now wrestlers from those schools proudly represent the Edina Hornets and the Richfield Spartans.

It’s a new thing, and it’s bringing excitement to both schools and the sport of wrestling.

“It only strengthens the sport,” said Josh Burhans, who was the head coach of the cooperative team for the previous four years and is now the head coach at Edina.

“Edina’s numbers were going up, Richfield was kind of leveling off,” he said. “It seemed like the right time for both schools, trying to take advantage of the numbers and being able to sustain two programs.”

The rosters of both teams are packed with sophomores and freshmen, some of them wrestling for the first time. The teams are taking their lumps this season, but it’s all part of the process.

“We have some nice leaders, some good experience but we’re very young. It’s a great group to build on,” said Richfield head coach Carl Maiers, who was an assistant at Bloomington Kennedy the last three years.

Richfield has had more of a wrestling tradition over the years. The cooperative team was always based at Richfield, with wrestlers from Edina responsible for their own transportation to and from practices.

Edina activities director Troy Stein said, “It’s been 20 years since Edina had its own team. There were quite a few years when we didn’t have any wrestlers or any connection or coop with Richfield.

“When I took this job last year, Josh was one of the first coaches to come to me. We started a conversation about the prospect of splitting and growing. Josh has been the driving force behind this.”

Burhans had prior coaching experience at Farmington, Richfield and Eagan before running the Richfield/Edina team.

“First it was just kind of an initial conversation with Troy, to see what was involved,” he said. “If it was going to happen the time had to be now.”

Edina’s first home wrestling competition in 20 years took place on Dec. 16 with a triangular involving Champlin Park and Burnsville. With two mats being used, the pep band playing and fans cheering, it was a festive night. But as all wrestlers know, what happens in practice pays off in competition.

“The kids are working hard, the focus of the program is improving each day,” said Burhans, whose Edina roster of 31 wrestlers includes six seniors, six juniors and 21 football players. “They step on the mat for each practice and they practice with a purpose to improve. That goes for the first-year guys or guys who have been with us four or five years now.”

At Richfield there are two seniors and one junior on a roster of 20 wrestlers.

“We have a good mixture,” said Maiers, who at 24 is among the youngest head coaches in the state. “We have some nice leaders, some good experience but we’re very young. It’s a great group to build on.”

Richfield activities director Todd Olson (a former football coach at Edina) said, “Participation in athletics can be fleeting and Carl’s done a great job, he’s linked the program with the community, middle school and ninth-grade wrestling. We’ve been more competitive than I thought. When you take away forfeiture matches, we hang in there pretty well.”

Richfield defeated Edina in a December match, and the Spartans also took pride in a win over Hopkins.

“I’ve loved it so far,” Maiers said. “To see these kids grow has been awesome, and to see middle school and youth kids get involved is great.

“I think it’s amazing that Edina and Richfield are kind of bucking the trend.”

*Schools/teams John has visited: 276
*Miles John has driven in the Toyota Camry in 2014-15: 6,010
Coaching, Parenting: Duluth East’s Randolph Does Both 1/5/2015
DULUTH – Mike Randolph has been coaching boys hockey at Duluth East for a long time with a great deal of success, including 15 trips to the state tournament and two state championships. Last week Randolph recorded his 550th career victory.

But something new and different is happening this season, his 26th as coach of the Greyhounds: Randolph is not on the bench for all the games.

You see, Randolph is being pulled in two directions. One is his team. The other is his son. Jake Randolph is a freshman hockey player at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. So in a wonderfully creative twist, Randolph is missing five or six games this season while watching his son play.

“It kind of shows how much he loves to watch me play,” said Jake. “It’s been pretty special.” (Pictured are Jake with his parents, Ginny and Mike.)

The arrangement was worked out with the blessing of school administrators and parents of the Duluth East players. Mike Randolph, 63, who retired last year as an elementary teacher, was also thinking about retiring from coaching in order to watch Jake play. But nobody wanted that to happen.

“It was brought up at the banquet at the end of last year,” Mike Randolph said. “At that time a lot of the parents knew that Jake was going into college hockey and they knew that I was very interested in seeing him play.

“Basically I just told them, ‘I’m like you. I want to see my kid play. To be honest with you, if our high school team is playing at Andover and Jake’s playing at North Dakota, guess where I’m going to go?’ That kind of dialogue took place and they said, ‘Let’s wait and see what it’s like but we sure don’t want you to quit.’ There was a lot of support from parents.”

After the East and Nebraska-Omaha schedules were finalized, Randolph sat down with activities director Shawn Roed.

“I went to Shawn and laid it out to him,” Randolph said. “I told him what games I would miss and we put it together that way. I’ve never done this before. And to be able to do this, I feel very fortunate that Shawn was understanding, as were the parents.”

When Randolph misses games, assistant coaches Dylan Mills and Brendan Brooks are in charge. They played for Randolph at East are well-versed in what the head coach expects.

“Both of them played for me, they’ve been my assistants for a while, I’m very comfortable with them and the team is in good hands,” Randolph said.

“Mike kind of lays out what he expects,” Brooks said. “Dylan and myself go over that with him and we have a pretty good understanding of what he’s looking for. Mike has a plan, he has a master plan for everything. We’re his lieutenants and we carry out orders.”

East’s junior-varsity coaches are tasked with updating Randolph via text messages during games he misses. On occasion, however, he is able to watch East games online from his hotel room. That was the case during the Greyhounds’ season opener at Wayzata … unbeknownst to Brooks and Mills.

“My phone was beeping so often because he was watching the game online in Omaha,” Brooks said. “I almost had to shut my phone off. I was texting him between periods, ‘I got it, Mike.’ And he was giving me line change combinations, ‘Move this guy to this line.’

“It was kind of like having him there. But I didn’t know the game was online, so it was like, ‘How is he seeing this?’ Having played for Mike Randolph, we always felt like he was everywhere.”

In addition to trips to Omaha, Randolph made his first visit to Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks when Nebraska-Omaha played at North Dakota in late November. He also plans to see Nebraska-Omaha play at St. Cloud State and Minnesota-Duluth in February. His wife Ginny travels to most of the games with him.

Before the series at North Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais asked Jake Randolph, “Is your dad coming?” Jake replied, “Oh yeah, he’s not missing that.” To which Blais said, “Don’t they have games?”

Jake said, “He just kind of smiled and laughed. Even my roommates here will ask me about it. They’re surprised that my dad’s able to come down so much and see me play. People know about it and they say a lot of good things about it. It means so much to me. I’m happy to be able to see him when I’m playing and happy for the Hounds because they need him.”

Mike Randolph said he hopes the coaching/parenting arrangement continues throughout Jake’s college career.

“Long-term, I look at Jake and in four years he’ll probably be done playing,” Mike said. “Then I might want to be still coaching. Where, if I quit, in four years who knows where I’m at? I still really enjoy coaching, I enjoy it a lot. It just happens that both are happening at the same time.”

*Schools/teams John has visited: 276
*Miles John has driven in the Toyota Camry in 2014-15: 6,010
'A Thousand Hugs’ For Wrestling’s McKee Family 12/22/2014
Mitchell McKee is one of Minnesota’s top high school wrestlers. The junior from St. Michael-Albertville brought a career record of 174-17 into this season, including four trips to the state tournament and a Class 3A state championship at 120 pounds last season.

But people probably know Mitchell best as the son of Seve McKee. At last year’s state tourney, Steve sat in the first row at Xcel Energy Center as Mitchell defeated Blaine sophomore Malik Stewart in the title match. After the match, Malik shook Steve’s hand before Mitchell and his father embraced.

Steve was dealing with a rare form cancer, which took his life on Dec. 7 after 23 months. The story of Mitchell’s state championship, Malik’s show of sportsmanship and the embrace between father and son was shared nationally.

Mitchell, his ninth-grade brother Patrick and their mom, Nina (pictured), are devoted to wrestling, as was Steve. Since Steve’s passing, the family has been inundated with sympathy, well-wishes and hugs. Oh, the hugs.

“I couldn’t walk through this arena without a thousand hugs,” Nina said Saturday at the Minnesota Christmas wrestling tournament in Rochester. “The support is overwhelming.”

For a sport that is built on hard work, tenacity and toughness, wrestling is an intertwined, friendly and family-oriented world. The McKees have certainly experienced that family atmosphere, as evidenced by all the cards, calls, handshakes and hugs they have experienced.

“After wrestling all these years you get to know everybody from all over,” Mitchell told me after winning his second consecutive Christmas tournament title. “But there’s a lot of people I don’t know who say how sorry they are and that type of stuff. It’s been rough but it’s also had its good moments.”

Mitchell, the state’s top-ranked 3A wrestler at 126 pounds, pinned all five opponents at the Christmas tournament.

“You have to come in with the mindset that you’re the toughest one out there and wrestle like you’re the toughest one out there,” he said. “It’s hard to beat someone who wrestles like they think they’re the toughest one out there. And that’s what I tell my brother every time he steps on the mat, ‘Wrestle tough in every position, all six minutes.’ Most of the time you’ll be happy with what comes out of it.”

Patrick placed fourth at 106 pounds in Rochester, and Mitchell was proud of him.

“As a ninth-grader to come into this tournament and place fourth, that’s more than a lot of ninth-graders do,” Mitchell said.

The St. Michael-Albertville team will return to action back in Rochester for The Clash national duals Jan. 2-3. Until then, the wrestlers will get some workouts in but mainly spend time with their families.

“There’s been a lot of support,” Mitchell said, “which has really helped.”

*Schools/teams John has visited: 260
*Miles John has driven in the Toyota Camry in 2014-15: 5,860
She Dances To The Music (Even Though She Can’t Hear It) 12/18/2014
Imagine this: You are a member of a high school dance team, and nothing is more important to your performance than hearing the music and the cues it provides.

Imagine this: You are deaf.

Erin Barrett doesn’t imagine this scenario. The junior at Roseville High School is indeed deaf and she is indeed a member of the Raiders’ varsity high kick dance team. How does she do it? Through a combination of visual cues, practice, experience and the assistance of a sign language interpreter. It is not easy, even if Erin makes it look easy.

“Sometimes I feel like she can hear because she always gets it,” said Roseville coach Brittany Rehling. “It’s super amazing.”

With the assistance of interpreter Alene Ray (pictured with Erin), Erin told me, “I’m not really hearing the music so I have to follow what everybody else is doing. I have to think about it, like ‘What are we going to do?’ and I’m counting as well, plus I’m looking at the coaches and the interpreter. I’m picking up all this visually and the team is sort of communicating with me and it sort of flows that way. If I’m stuck I just sort of follow what they’re doing and keep in the flow. It’s not easy.”

Erin was born in China, lived in an orphanage and came to the United States when she was 13, adopted by Sue and David Barnett of Roseville. She doesn’t remember ever being able to hear; she thinks she may have lost her hearing when she was ill as a very young child.

She splits her school days between Metro Deaf School in St. Paul and Roseville High School. She joined the Raiders dance program last year, which was an adjustment for her new teammates.

“I think they were at first kind of like, ‘Oh, OK.’ I instill a lot of trust in the girls,” Rehling said. “I noticed on the first day it was kind of an adjustment, everyone tried to not watch her interpreter. This year it’s really come together and everyone just talks to Erin like she can hear us.

“We don’t really acknowledge it, but at the end of the day you look back and realize she doesn’t hold back and isn’t treated any differently at all. That’s the most beautiful thing of all. She’s just like any other member of the team.”

Prior to Monday’s Suburban East Conference dance championships at Cretin-Derham Hall in St. Paul, the Raiders high kick dance team was going through its final practice. Rehling sat high in the gymnasium bleachers, directing traffic.

The coach asked, “Erin, are you behind Fortune?” Ray relayed the question and Erin nodded. Rehling then counted off “1! 2! 3! 4! …” as the team resumed its routine. As the coach counted, Ray held up fingers to match the count so Erin knew the cue. And once the routine began, she was perfectly in step with everyone else.

“She somehow finds that beat and stays on the beat,” Rehling said. “Sometimes girls who can hear have trouble keeping up.”

According to Sue Barnett, “When competition started and people started to find out that there was a deaf dancer on the team and they couldn't pick out who the deaf dancer was, it made Erin feel good. During last year’s dance season, we started to see a girl become more confident within herself, seeing that she can do something that is very challenging and being successful at it. …

“She learned about being challenged with something and keeping at it, and it gave a good feeling when she accomplished it, that she was just part of a team and that her deafness wasn't stopping her from doing things that hearing people do.”

Rehling, a 2007 Roseville graduate, said one of her high school dance teammates was partially deaf.

“Erin kind of resonated with me,” she said. “Everyone thinks, ‘Oh, someone hard of hearing is on the dance team?’ I was really excited to hear about Erin. She’s great.”

Erin said, “When I came in the first year they were all talking and I was like, ‘Sorry, I can’t hear you’ and they were looking at me like, ‘What? How are you going to do this?’ I knew I would be fine. They started to understand, we went along and everything was good. I’m not afraid of anything.”

*Schools/teams John has visited: 236
*Miles John has driven in the Toyota Camry in 2014-15: 5,680
Jarvis Johnson Died Four Years Ago; You Should See Him Now 12/12/2014
Jarvis Johnson, a senior at DeLaSalle, is a well-known name in the boys basketball world. He hopes to lead the Islanders to a fourth consecutive Class 3A state championship this season before continuing his career at the University of Minnesota.

That’s pretty good for a kid who died four years ago.

It was December 2010. He collapsed at basketball practice as an eighth-grader and was clinically dead for between seven and 12 minutes. The story of how he came back to life is amazing, and the fact that he is one of the top athletes in Minnesota – with a surgically inserted defibrilattor keeping watch on his heart -- adds another incredible layer to the story of a young man who is a walking miracle.

I visited Jarvis during his lunch break at school, and he told me the story of what he said was just a regular day…

“I went to practice, stretched out a little bit, I was getting loose going up and down the court and I just collapsed,” he said. He began foaming from the mouth. There was no pulse. Doctors later confirmed it was a heart attack; what 14-year-old kid gets taken down by a heart attack?

Calls were made to 911 and Jarvis’ parents. When his father arrived, paramedics were working on Jarvis but they were not optimistic. Just recently, Jarvis’ dad told his son what took place.

“The ambulance people were saying, ‘Sir, he’s been dead for so long he’s not going to make it,’ ” Jarvis said. “My dad told them he wanted to speak with me for one more minute, and he started talking to me. Then they said I had a pulse. They asked him to keep talking to me.”

Johnson was transported to North Memorial Medical Center, where he was placed into a medically induced coma. He regained consciousness four or five days later and remained hospitalized for two weeks.

“The process was tough,” he said. “That doesn’t happen very often to a 14-year-old.”

No kidding.

The fact that Johnson is a top basketball player is just part of his story today. DeLaSalle coach Dave Thorson said Jarvis has become a team leader as well as an inspiration to those who around him.

“What I appreciate most about Jarvis is his attitude and his love of the game,” Thorson said. “I also have a lot of respect for the maturing that’s happened. He’s really been a leader for us in terms of his effort, not only in basketball but in all the other areas that go into being a student-athlete. I can’t tell you proud I am of him and how proud I am of the development that’s taken place.

“He is coming into that role of being a senior leader in a way that I’m just thrilled about. Whether it’s how he communicates in practice, what sort of role modeling he does as a student, how he carries himself. It means something to be an Islander, and he understands that.”

Johnson’s final list of colleges was Minnesota, Wisconsin, Baylor, Nevada-Las Vegas and Wichita State. He said the decision to become a Gopher was an easy one after he made his official visit to the campus that’s only about two miles from DeLaSalle.

“I got a chance to interact with some of the players, went to a class. As soon as I left I felt that the was place for me to be. Just getting to know coach (Richard) Pitino since he’s been here, that’s been excellent. He’s been totally honest throughout the whole recruitment.”

Thorson (pictured with Johnson) and the college coaches who recruited Johnson are well aware of his heart history. Jarvis knows that if he feels tired he needs to take himself out of the game; but that hasn’t happened much in recent years.

He also was recruited by Iowa State. The NBA career of Cyclones coach Fred Hoiberg was ended by a heart ailment, and Hoiberg has a pacemaker implanted in his chest.

“He and I did have conversations about it,” Johnson said. “It was kind of an interesting topic between me and coach Hoiberg.”

In the immediate aftermath of Johnson’s heart attack, doctors told him he would probably never play basketball again. That was crushing.

“That was probably the most devastating news a kid can hear at 14 years old,” he said. “After that we prayed, I took things slowly, and a few months later we went back for another checkup. The doctor asked me if I really wanted to play again. He said I could play but be cautious, take my time and ask to come out when I felt tired. By the end of the year I almost felt back to being myself.”

Before Johnson was cleared by his doctors, one of them suggested that he take up golf or ping-pong. That didn’t sit too well.

“I was pretty upset after that,” he said, smiling. “I’m not good at either one.”

The 6-foot-1 guard is quick, strong and athletic. He has helped the Islanders win those three state titles and they are ranked No. 1 in Class 3A this season. DeLaSalle has produced a long list of college players; Reid Travis graduated last spring and is now in the starting lineup at Stanford. Johnson is the next in that storied line from the Catholic school that sits on Nicollet Island in the middle of the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis.

“Jarvis is one of those high school athletes who younger kids look to,” Thorson said. “With all the notoriety that happens now with recruiting, and with his decisions, some of that you don’ really ask for, you get it whether you want it or not. But Jarvis does a marvelous job of that, in terms of interacting with those young people.”

Johnson doesn’t mind talking about his health history and doesn’t shy away from questions. He doesn’t think about it all the time, but when he’s falling asleep he sometimes feels the defibrillator.

“I really don’t notice it much, it’s the kind of thing you kind of forget about,” he said. “The only time I really can feel it is sometimes when I’m going to sleep, when everything’s quiet.

“I think about it a lot of times when I’m going to sleep. It’s just like, ‘What if I didn’t have a heart attack, would I be the same person I am today?’ I think about that pretty often.

“I think it would be different. It would definitely be different.”

*Schools/teams John has visited: 215
*Miles John has driven in the Toyota Camry in 2014-15: 5,202